1. EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    our 2013/14 2.0 tdi 140 quattro has recurring MIL light. P0401 EGR A flow insufficient. Does not go into limp.
    Obviously previous owner knew...but live and learn, should have taken my basic scanner and checked when light last put out! and pending codes.
    I assume flow rate low means is dirty, sticky or something.
    How much of a pig is it to do? I had hoped it was like our A3 2.0tdi I did and was easy on top front...but no, its like the A1, Water cooled horror underneath and at back!!
    The A1 I have not even done yet it is such a joke to work on.
    Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1879 Post(s)
    What is the VIN? They are an absolute **** to change, on the floor on yer back I cannot imagine being able to do it but I know people have.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Tried a PM with VIN crasher...not sure it is working??

0 0 0

4. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1879 Post(s)
    Yes it is the evil one on the back of the engine, my lads have done dozens each and it still takes the best part of a day with it on a lift. The technique is to drop the DPF to one side, don't remove it. ONLY fit the updated genuine part 03L 131 512 DQ, aftermarket versions even from the best names are notorious.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Yes it is the evil one on the back of the engine, my lads have done dozens each and it still takes the best part of a day with it on a lift. The technique is to drop the DPF to one side, don't remove it. ONLY fit the updated genuine part 03L 131 512 DQ, aftermarket versions even from the best names are notorious.
    Thanks, bit of a pain then! I bet the genuine part is scary money then.

Are they servicable/cleanable in any way?

0 0 0

6. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1879 Post(s)
    £518.40 compared to approx £225 for OEM aftermarket. The genuine part comes with a two year parts and labour warranty BUT to qualify MUSt be fitted by a VAT registered garage. Int early dys we fitted aftermarket but they just kept failing, one car didn't even make it off the lift. Before we fit a new genuine init, we alayes plug it in and calibrate before as even genuine ones have been faulty out of the box.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    thanks. so that is plan A it would seem...the code on this simply says insufficient flow on EGR on OBD.
    Thinking out the box....EGR valves do not a lot and often get deleted becasue it is an idea from hell putting filthy gases back into the engine!! (I have a TD5 landie on which I deleted it and has returned better mpg for 16 years since!)
    That of course was a simple EGR....is there another option for this Q3?,

0 0 0

8. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1879 Post(s)
    No, it is not putting filthy gases back into the engine, the process is to reduce combustion temperatures and therefore reduce the emissions of lethal NOX gases, a recognised killer.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: EGR replace? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    No, it is not putting filthy gases back into the engine, the process is to reduce combustion temperatures and therefore reduce the emissions of lethal NOX gases, a recognised killer.
    I see, that is why more modern EGR valves are water cooled unlike the older ones simply putting exhaust gas back in to the inlet side.

0 0 0